April 26, 2012

"Poem In My Pocket" Day

My friend Kristal shared with me that today is Poem In My Pocket Day. It's pretty self-explanatory... find a poem and wear it in your pocket. Share it if you so desire.


If I worked in an office setting, at the strike of noon, I would stand on my desk in a perfectly messy and cluttered cubical and read a poem about jammed copiers and unfiled paperwork aloud for all of my co-workers to enjoy. The good news... I no longer work in an office setting.

Instead of an office poem, my daycare kids and I will share fun poems during circle time this afternoon. Kids have very clever minds. It's fun to hear how their minds think, best part of my job!

I searched the web high and low for a perfect poem to share here. Go figure I could not find one that included two gay men, twins and a surrogate. But this one is sweet:

A Dream,

by Lain L.

Our friendship started differently
than most friendships I've had.
We had to search each other out
because of something sad.
A precious child to fill your hearts
is what you're longing for.
Infertility has made it hard
to open up that door.
And so a search began for you
to find a helping heart.
So similar to my own search
not knowing where to start.
For me the search is special
it requires such great care.
A couple to help have a child...
the fruit my search must bare.
Now we've found each other
so much more real it seems.
Through faith and hope and honesty
we're moving toward your dream.
But the dream we have,
it is the same,
a dream that's filled with firsts.
First smiles, first laughs, first steps, first words....
all starting with a birth.
Often times I find myself
wondering what it's like
to have to trust a stranger
with such a precious life.
And though I can't imagine
all that you've been through,
I've been so blessed in my life
I'm drawn to helping you.
And I hope you know I'll do my best
to bring a child to you.
Some people call us Angels
us surro-moms to be.
But I don't feel Angelic,
I just feel like me.
Our journey is just starting,
and no one knows the end.
I pray it brings to you a child
and brings to me a friend.


Share a poem today!

1 comment: