December 08, 2011

My fun morning

I just had a thrilling morning! I took my 3 hour glucose test. The appointment was at 7:30am, I arrived right on time at 7:50am... oops! For this particular test, I was required to fast. I don't have a problem with that, I didn't feel sick or faint from not eating. The sugary drink must help with that because I usually need to eat by 8:30am or I start to feel weird.

I was called back at about 8:05. They prepped me with an IV. I was surprised by this because in my previous experiences I would just have my blood drawn every time. I am not sure which I like better. The convenience of the IV was really nice but I could feel the needle in my arm the entire appointment and that creeps me out. Remember, I am not fond of needles. In the past, I would hear "ok, you're gonna feel a little poke" every hour. I am just happy I have cooperative veins! They protrude with eagerness and beg to be poked at.

After the IV was put into place and some blood was drawn, I drank the delicious sugary cocktail set before me. This time I was given a very full cup instead of half of a cup. I would estimate it at about 2 cups worth. Just thinking about it now makes me queasy. I was sent out to the waiting room. The effects of the sugar don't take place right away. It takes probably 20 to 30 minutes then BAM. I wasn't sure if I should set off running, start climbing the walls or lay down to take a nap. It's such a bizarre thing. I figured a very pregnant lady running around the waiting room would get some funny looks, climbing the walls would probably warrant a visit from hospital security and taking a nap on the floor didn't sound all that appealing. I decided to check my email and Facebook to occupy my mind. It worked but I was still very fidgety.

One hour after the drink I was called back to give some blood then sent back out to the waiting room for another hour. During this hour I popped on my iPod and started crocheting. I crocheted 4 hats in that hour... haha, just teasing (it would take much longer than an hour to do that many hats). I really did crochet, though. I started crocheting a diaper cover as a prop for my photography business. This hour wasn't so bad. Music can help me get through pretty much anything. The end of the hour was a little rough as I started coming down from my sugar high. I was getting extremely tired.

Once again after the hour was up, I was called back, gave some blood and sent back to the waiting room for one more hour. This hour was tough... I was very tired and the thought of napping on the floor was sounding more and more appealing. I continued to listen to music and crochet. The hour went quickly but the tiredness stuck around. After that hour was up, I went back for my final draw. They took the IV out (YAY) and I was free to go about my day.

They told me if the results weren't up to par, I would get a call tomorrow. We'll see, they told me that last time but didn't call when they were supposed to, leaving me thinking I had passed the one hour.

I just want to leave you with something nice one of the daddies-to-be said to me. I had texted them to let them know I failed my one hour glucose test. The response I got was: "U didn't fail. U r just too sweet for this world". Awww...................

Thanks for checking in!



  1. How ironic. We just had our glucose test today too. We get the results in a few days. I hope we pass, because it looks like you and our surro are just to sweet for this world! Thanks for sharing. Take care.

  2. :)
    Yes, I had to remind my OB at 31 weeks that I hadn't taken the test yet. I really like my OB but come on, right? In the past, I usually took it around 25/28 weeks.